Orthodontics is not just for children and teens. Did you know in fact, one in every 5 patients in orthodontic treatment is an adult. There is no age limit for orthodontic treatment as long as your teeth and gums are relatively healthy.
Adults seek orthodontic treatment for many of the same reasons as children. Some adults had orthodontic problems as children but were unable to correct them until now. Others, who had treatment as children, may need further treatment as adults due to relapse, unexpected growth or limitations in their initial treatment process.
Benefits of Adult Orthodontics
Adults can benefit from orthodontic treatment in many ways. These include:
- Being able to have a more comfortable, pain-free bite where chewing, eating and smiling is a joy
- Being proactive with your health so your teeth that can last a lifetime – the longevity of your smile is very important to us
- Benefiting from our sleep apnea screening and orthodontic treatments
- Aligning your teeth to create a more aesthetic and beautiful smile
- Correcting relapse after previous orthodontic treatment due to loss of a previous retainer
- Improving the ability to brush and floss, especially for crowded or overlapping lower front teeth
- Address missing teeth to close spaces or make room for bridges or implants to replace them
- Reduce excessive wear on the teeth due to grinding or poor bite
- Jaw surgery to correct discrepancy between the upper and lower jaws.
Appearance of Braces
Many adults are concerned with the appearance of braces. Often, Invisalign® (The invisible alternative to braces) can be used to treat adults. This technology involves clear removable aligners, fabricated through advanced 3D planning methods to align the teeth. For more severe problems, we always have the option of clear ceramic brackets instead of metal braces though many adult patients like the metal braces too!
Orthodontic treatment is no more uncomfortable for adults than children. Adults undergoing orthodontic treatment report the same level of soreness as children.
Typically, the teeth are most uncomfortable 12-24 hours after an orthodontic adjustment and will disappear within 3 to 5 days. Modern appliances are smaller and more comfortable to wear than ever. Modern techniques, including space age nickel-titanium orthodontic wires, put less pressure on the teeth to lessen discomfort, while moving the teeth rapidly and efficiently.
The fee for adult orthodontics is determined the same way as child or adolescent treatment. It is based on the severity of the problem, the complexity of the correction, the appliances used and the length of time to correct their bite. Marda Loop Braces can provide a complimentary private exam to assess your needs
Dr. Andrew Chen has treated individuals in their 40’s, 50’s, and even their 60’s with great results. It is never too late to gain the smile you have always wanted!